Summary: Here’s the big list of lies by our leaders. It’s one of the most important posts among the 3,300 on the FM website. It should be posted in every home. America will change when enough Americans no longer accept leaders who lie — even those of their own party. This goes up as a reference page on the right-side menu, to be updated with future lies by our leaders. In the comments post other big lies by our leaders that should go on this list.
“Since becoming a journalist I had often heard the advice to “believe nothing until it has been officially denied”.
— Claud Cockburn (Irish journalist) quoted in Discord of Trumpets: The Autobiography of a Legendary Newspaperman (1956). Often attributed to Bismarck.
- Examples of lies to guide us.
- FDR before WWII.
- Fear-mongering to start the Cold War.
- All our foes are Hitler.
- Other examples.
- Are we cowards, or just gullible?
- For More Information.
(1) Examples of lies to guide us
“I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy.”
— George Washington in his Farewell Address (1796).
The history of American since WWII is one of lies by leaders that we eagerly embrace. No matter how often they lie, we believe. Here are some of the most outrageous, some of the most influential, and some that are just routine.
- There was no missile gap.
- There was no bomber gap.
- The Tonkin Gulf incident was fiction.
- 9-11 was not staged from Afghanistan.
- Saddam was not working with al Qaeda.
- Iraq’s soldiers didn’t kill babies in Kuwait.
- Torture didn’t help us find & kill bin Laden.
- Hitler didn’t plan to conquer South America.
- The Russians shot down our U-2 over Russia.
- The policeman didn’t warn 12-year old Tamir Rice before killing him.
- US intel had little evidence proving Saddam had functional WMDs.
- The 1976 “Team B” reports about the aggressive powerful USSR were fiction.
- There were no Libyan hit teams roaming America (gated TIME article; open version)
- Iran has been 3 years from having an atomic bomb since 1984 (& still doesn’t have it).
- The USS Vincennes did shoot down Iran Air Flight 655 (we eventually admitted it, then lied about the circumstances). More details here.
- Yemen’s al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) does not “pose the greatest potential threat to the United States.”
- It’s false to say about ISIS in Syria and Iraq that “We are now facing an existential threat to the security of the United States of America …”