Here is a modest proposal for a small step to help better utilize the world’s food supply: feed the pets more scraps and less pet food — then donate some of that money to the World Food Program.
I. “UN to set up task force to tackle global food crisis“, AP (29 April 2008) – Opening (bold emphasis added):
The United Nations will establish a top-level task force to tackle food shortages and escalating prices that threaten to touch off a “cascade of related crises” around the world, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday. Ban, who will lead the task force, said the group agreed on a series of measures for the medium and long term, with its first priority to meet the $755 million shortfall in funding for the World Food Program. …
II. “In 2005, dog and cat food sales in the US reached a new record high of over $14.3 billion.” — from The Pet Food Institute, citing “Pet Food & Pet Care Products in the US”, Euromonitor International (2005)
It is just a thought.
Please share your comments by posting below, brief and relevant, please. Or email me at fabmaximus at hotmail dot com (note the spam-protected spelling).
For more information about this subject
- Important news about the global food crisis! (1 April 2008)
- A view from Indonesia of the food crisis (3 April 2008)
- Stratfor warns about the global food crisis (18 April 2008)
- What you probably do not know about China’s food crisis (21 April 2008)
- Higher food prices, riots, shortages – what is going on? (29 April 2008)
- Weekend reading about the Food Crisis (17 May 2008)
This archive shows all posts about the food crisis, plus reports from from major international agencies.