The facts about the 1970′s Global Cooling scare
The propaganda campaign to create hysteria about global warming required altering the public memory about both science and history. Both have been successful, disturbingly so.
For the former, putting the well-developed science about the Little Ice Age down the memory hole. The public must have a false image of the world’s climate as stable, so the two century warming could be attributed to late 20th century industrialization.
The latter required erasing from public memory the global cooling scare of the 1970′s. That required amnesia about well-documented history. For example see this typical strawman argument (refutation of an exaggerated version): “The Myth of the 1970s Global Cooling Scientific Consensus“, Thomas C. Peterson, William M. Connolley, and John Flect, American Meteorological Society, September 2008.
The success of this project should disturb us, perhaps foreshadowing even more ambitious manipulations in the future (as the global warming hysteria built upon the “nuclear winter” propaganda).
This website has retrieved some of this lost history from the memory hole.
- An important letter sent to the President about the danger of climate change, 21 October 2009 — Official NOAA history about global cooling in the 1970s.
- About those headlines from the past century about global cooling…, 2 November 2009 — On the other hand, some skeptics also exaggerate.
- A look at global warming written in a cooler and more skeptical time, giving us a better understanding of climate science, 23 November 2009 — A prominent climatologist talks about the state of the science in the 1970s.
The latest expose from the 1970′s is the re-discovery of this report about global cooling: “A study of climatological research as it pertains to intelligence problems”, CIA, August 1974 — Posted at Climate Monitory. It’s a discussion of the effect if our global climate returns to the conditions of the last 400 years (the little ice age).
The success of these efforts to manipulate history should disturb us. It was easy. After all, sheep have poor memories.
For more information from the FM site
To read other articles about these things, see the FM reference page on the right side menu bar. Of esp relevance to this topic:
- About Science & Nature – my articles
- About Science & nature – studies & reports (esp section 4 about the solar cycle)
- About Science & Nature – general media articles
- About Science & Nature – the history of climate fears
Reference pages about other topics appear on the right side menu bar, including About the FM website page.
Please share your comments by posting below. Per the FM site’s Comment Policy, please make them brief (250 word max), civil and relevant to this post. Or email me at fabmaximus at hotmail dot com (note the spam-protected spelling).