Graph of the decade, a hidden fracture in the American political regime
From “Where has all the income gone? Look up“, Lawrence Mishel, Economic Policy Institute, 3 March 2010:
For more information about growing inequality of income and wealth in America
- ”Poverty Rose, Median Income Declined, and Job-Based Health Insurance Continued to Weaken in 2008“, Arloc Sherman et al, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 10 September 2009
- Share of Aggregate Income Received by Quintile of Households, ugly numbers from the US Census
- “Changes in the Distribution of Workers’ Annual Earnings Between 1979 and 2007“, Congressional Budget Office, October 2009
- “Have we fallen behind our parents?“, Katharine Mieszkowski, Salon, 14 May 2008 — “Author Nan Mooney argues that the middle class is slipping, and fixing it is going to take more than cutting out lattes.”
- “Income inequality and poverty rising in most OECD countries“, OECD, 21 October 2008
- “Striking it Richer: The Evolution of Top Incomes in the United States“, Emmanuel Saez, 5 August 2009 — First world levels of income; third world income distribution.
- “Inequality, Living Standards, and the Middle Class”, Scott Winship (Pew Economic Mobility Project), Progressive FIX, 12 January 2010 – Part One and Part Two.
- “Top 400 Earners in U.S Averaged $345 Million in 2007, IRS Says“, Bloomberg, 18 February 2010 — “Each household in the top 400 of earners paid an average tax rate of 16.6%, the lowest since the agency began tracking the data in 1992, the Internal Revenue Service statistics show. Their average effective tax rate was about half the 29.4% in 1993…”
For more information from the FM site
Reference pages about other topics appear on the right side menu bar, including About the FM website page. Such as…
Posts about our tax system:
- A sad picture of America, but important for us to understand, 3 November 2008
- Inequality in the USA (also, we have a flat tax system), 7 January 2009
- The latest figures on income inequality in the USA, 9 October 2009
- Are Americans over-taxed?, 9 April 2010 — Not by historical standards, or by comparison with our spending.
- Are Americans under-taxed, 4 December 2010 — Not by comparison with other nations.
Posts about increasing inequality in America:
- An opportunity to look in the mirro:r, to more clearly see America, 10 November 2009
- Graph of the decade, a hidden fracture in the American political regime, 7 March 2010
- Modern America seen in pictures. Graphs, not photos. Facts, not impressions., 13 June 2010
- A pity party for America’s rich and powerful, 8 September 2010