Interesting and valuable news and insights about our changing world. Number 5 is a must-read!
- “The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better“, by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett, reviewed in the London Review of Books, 22 October 2009
- “Chimera of Victory“, Gian P. Gentile (Colonel, US Army), op-ed in the New York Times, 31 October 2009 — Powerful words from someone worth listening to; extraordinary article by a serving officer in the US Army.
- “The Golden State isn’t worth it – Our high-benefit/high-tax model no longer works, especially compared with low-tax states like Texas“, William Voegeli, op-ed in the Los Angeles Times, 1 November 2009
- “The Flying Imams Win – And the rest of us lose“, Scott W. Johnson, The Weekly Standard, 9 November 2009
- “Mentoring Hamid Karzai“, Max Boot, Commentary, 2 November 2009 — Insane arrogance. Karzai must be laughing his ass off reading this kind of nonsense from America.
A note on the West’s evolution: we’re not yet sufficiently multicultural
It seems the New York Times overlooked these hot stories. Perhaps they will report the next case of honor killings. Or the one after that…
- “Son: Dad accused of running over women was disrespected“, Arizona Republic, 26 October 2009
- “Glendale man accused of running over daughter found“, Arizona Republic, 30 October 2009
But gives us a few years, and we might be more tolerant of these things. Here’s a look at what lies ahead, coming soon to our newspapers:
- “A Piece of White Silk“, Jacqueline Rose, London Review of Books, 5 November 2009 — First person accounts of honor killings.
Please share your comments by posting below. Per the FM site’s Comment Policy, please make them brief (250 word max), civil and relevant to this post. Or email me at fabmaximus at hotmail dot com (note the spam-protected spelling).