Today’s links to interesting news and analysis. If you find this useful, please pass it to friends or colleagues.
- Recommended, an outsider’s perspective on the debate among climate scientists: “Global Warning Advocacy Science: A Cross Examination“, Jason Scott Johnston (Director of the Program on Law, Environment and Economy at the U of Pennsylvania Law School), May 2010 — PDF
- The second collapse in fertility comes into view: “A birth control pill for men“, Israel21c, 24 June 2010 — Our current economic structures are toast.
- Recommended: analysis of the latest climate propaganda: “Out in the Ama-zone“, Willis Eschenbach, 27 June 2010 — Increasing desperation by warmists as the November elections approach, almost certain doom for climate-related legislation. See this for background to the controversy about another set of alarmist claims by the IPCC.
- “The Land Where Theories of Warfare Go to Die – Obama, Petraeus, and the Cult of COIN in Afghanistan“, Robert Dreyfuss, TomDispatch, 27 June 2010
- Another Government official admits that “number of Al Qaida” in Afghanistan is only 50-100: CIA Director Leon Panetta interviewed on ABC’s “This Week”, 27 June 2010 — See the transcript and video for more.
- Recommended news break: “The last post: McChrystal’s bleak outlook“, The Independent on Sunday (IoS), 27 June 2010 — “McChrystal issued a devastatingly critical assessment of the war against a ‘resilient and growing insurgency’ just days before being forced out.”
- Recommended: “The Third Depression“, Paul Krugman, op-ed in the New York Times, 28 June 2010
- “Endless war, a recipe for four-star arrogance“, Andrew J. Bacevich, op-ed in the Washington Post, 28 June 2010
Today’s feature articles appear below the fold.
Today’s featured websites: Media Matters and Zero Hedge
(9) Media Matters. Always partisan. Sometimes their criticism is exaggerated or tenacious; sometimes it’s accurate and well-supported. Here are examples of the latter.
- “Limbaugh falsely claimed McChrystal ‘didn’t get the rules of engagement’ or troops he wanted“, 23 June 2010
- “Conservative media falsely accuse Obama of ‘excoriating’ Petraeus“, 24 June 2010
(10) Zero Hedge. Always interesting; a good source of leads (which research can turn into information). Often suitable material for an advanced degree in b.s.
- Awesome hyping of routine carrier movements: Showdown: U.S. Sends Warships to Confront Iran, Parsing Recent Carrier Strike Group Movements, USS Carrier Harry Truman Now Officially Just Off Iran, As Israel Allegedly Plotting An Imminent Tehran Raid, US Begins Massive Military Build Up Around Iran, Sending Up To 4 New Carrier Groups In Region, 12 American Warships, Including One Aircraft Carrier, And One Israeli Corvette, Cross Suez Canal On Way To Red Sea And Beyond, and Is The US Preparing For “The Total Destruction Of Iran? (March 2010).
- Carefully reporting every media whore who gets some ink: Matt Simmons Revises Leak Estimate To 120000 Barrels Per Day …, Rumors of Florida Evac Prep from Benzine Fumes via Gulf Oil Spill …, Prominent Oil Industry Insider: “There’s Another Leak, Much Bigger …, Matt Simmons Tells Bloomberg Only Way To Contain Oil Leak Is With Small Nuclear Bombs…, Power Blackouts And Water Shortages Threaten Florida, etc.
Afterword and contact info
- For more about this website, see the About the FM website page.
- You can subscribe to receive posts by email; see the box on the upper right.
- Contact us (WordPress keeps your contact information confidential):