Today’s links to interesting news and analysis. If you find this useful, please pass it to friends and colleagues.
- Debunked, but Republicans still repeat the lie: “Oil Spill, Foreign Help and the Jones Act“, Fact Check (U Penn), 23 June 2010 — Lies travel as well as truth on the information superhighway. Also see this McClatchy article.
- Beating the war drums to move the flock: “Meeting the Challenge: When Time Runs Out“, Daniel R. Coats, Charles Robb and Charles F. Wald (General, USAF, retired), Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC), 23 June 2010 — The BPC is well-named; today both parties advocate perpetual war.
- “The Arab-Israeli Military Balance – Conventional Realities and Asymmetric Challenges“, Anthony H. Cordesman and Aram Nerguizian, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), 29 June 2010
- Your tax dollars aren’t lost in Afghanistan; they’ve just found a new home in Dubai: “US Cuts Aid After Millions Siphoned Off to Dubai“, Der Spiegel, 5 July 2010 — Does this surprise you?
- Both conservative and liberal economists sounding the alarm; be very afraid: “The Rising Threat of Deflation“, John H. Makin, American Enterprise Institute, July 2010 — Krugman’s reply: “Scary stuff. And all too plausible.”
- Real time evidence why the Depression discredited Austrian economics: “Keynes Versus Hayek, 1932“, Paul Krugman, blog of the New York Times, 9 July 2010
- The Pentagon whiz kids finally hit upon a rebuttal to the Rolling Stone article, 16 days after the Rolling Stone’s article hit: “Rolling Stone quotes made by junior staff“, Army Times, 8 July 2010 — Weak tea.
- As so often the case, the raw temperature data looks flat, but he “adjusted” data shows warming (adjustments for urbanization and poor siting should lower temperatures): Colorado Summer Trends, 9 July 2010
- Democracy! Elections on March 7, but no government yet: “Iraq’s Allawi hopes for new government in August“, AFP, 9 July 2010
- Another comparison of the raw temperature data and the adjusted record: “Raising Arizona”, Steve Goddard and Anthony Watts, WUWT, 10 July 2010 — As usual, adjustments to low-quality data produce a warming trend.
Afterword and contact info
- For more about this website, see the About the FM website page.
- You can subscribe to receive posts by email; see the box on the upper right.
- Contact us (WordPress keeps your contact information confidential):