Ask any question about geopolitics, broadly defined. We — and others reading the FM website — will attempt to answer it in the comments. All answers welcomed!
- Like Jeopardy, your comments must be in the form of a question!
- Please use the REPLY button when replying to a previous comment, to keep threads together.
Questions received so far (click on the link to go directly to that thread):
- Are FM’s Shockwaves (high impact low probability) the same thing as Nassim Taleb’s Black Swans?
- Will the Euro crisis ever be resolved?
- How does past US industrial policy compare to now in terms of coherency and competence?
- Do you ever find yourself tempted to gloss over the realities of the past, in order to present a better story for the present?
- Virtual JFK was a good movie. But what’s top billing for 2011?
- What do you think of the idea of a tiered system within the European Union would work?
- Why have the protests in Athens stopped?
- What do you think of Dmitry Orlov’s claim that the European sovereign debt crisis will end our civilization?
- What do you think of the “Grand Archdruid” John Michael Greer, and his theory of catabolic collapse?
- Where did the M F Global sequestered accounts go and how was the audit trail severed?
- How is one’s OODA loop affected if the opponent is irrational?
- Why do you think Orlov’s article is too dumb for comment?
- Answer to question #12
Quote of the week
Who are we at war with? Everybody!
Where are we at war with them? Everywhere!
When are we at war with them? Every day!
Why are we at war with them? Everything!
The lack of anticipation of blowback is, as always, quaint.
— Arthur Kirkland, comment posted at the Volokh Conspiracy, 30 November 2011
To start the discussion: this week’s articles of great interest
- Why are these days so many in the GOP liars? For yet another sad example see “How Newt’s New Novel Plays Politics With the Past“, Kevin M. Levin, The Atlantic, 5 December 2011 — “Eager to court black voters while retaining southern conservatives, Gingrich writes a notorious massacre out of his book”
- “Obama Road Tests Hopey-Changey Big Lie 2.0: He’ll Reincarnate as Teddy Roosevelt if You Are Dumb Enough to be Fooled Twice“, Yves Smith, Naked Capitalism, 7 December 2011
- Who are the unemployed? Over 65? 55-65 Or young people? For answers see “Demographic Shift?“, Tim Duy (Asst Prof Economics, U OR), Economists View, 7 December 2011
- The GOP prefers that the government hire only the ignorant: “Politicians Scorn Professors“, Jeffrey Frankel (Prof Government, Harvard), Roubini Global Economics, 7 December 2011
- State Capitalism at work: “Another Sweet deal for Buffett – Who pays? You do!“, Bruce Krasting, 9 December 2011
- “The Great Recession and Distribution of Income in California“, Sarah Bohn, Public Policy Institute of California, December 2011