Some articles you might find of interest, updates about matters discussed on the FM website.
- About government efforts to control the news
- At last, sensible action to mitigate the housing crisis
- News about the financial crisis
- About the US dollar
(1) About government efforts to control the news
“Media Criticism, Chicago-Style“, Glenn Reynolds, op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, 5 November 2009
For more information, see Foolish but dangerous attempts to manage the media by Team Obama.
(2) At last, sensible action to mitigate the housing crisis
“Fannie to Rent to Owners in Foreclosure“, Wall Street Journal, 5 November 2009
For more information, see these posts about the housing crisis:
- Diagnosing the eagle, chapter I — the housing bust, 6 December 2007
- A vital but widely misunderstood aspect of our financial crisis, 18 September 2008 — Too many homes.
- Destroying houses in order to boost home prices, 16 December 2008
- The housing crisis allows America to look in the mirror. What do we see?, 9 March 2009
- Another step to solving the housing crisis: downsize cities by destroying neighborhoods, 2 April 2009
(3) News about the financial crisis
(a) “Why not a WPA?“, Paul Krugmann, op-ed in the New York Times, 6 November 2009
(b) “Tax Cuts and Recoveries“, David Leonhardt, blog of the New York Times, 3 November 2009 — Important information for the “tax cuts cure all ills” crowd.
(c) “Sudden Financial Arrest“, Ricardo J. Caballero (Massachusetts Institute of Technology and NBER), IMF, 2 November 2009 — Interesting reading, esp considering all those comments in 2008 mocking evidence that we were in a recession — and outraged at my assertions that the world economy suffered a “cardiac arrest” in the 4th quarter of 2008.
For more information, see Financial crisis – what’s happening? how will this end?
(4) About the US dollar
“Death Cometh for the Greenback“, Joseph E. Stiglitz (Prof at Columbia U, chief economist of the World Bank from 1997 to 2000), National Interest , November/December 2009
For more information, see these posts:
- A brief note on the US Dollar. Is this like August 1914?, 8 November 2007 — How the current situation is as unstable financially as was Europe geopolitically in early 1914.
- Economic Warfare, 10 November 2007
- The post-WWII geopolitical regime is dying. Chapter One , 21 November 2007 — Why the current geopolitical order is unstable, describing the policy choices that brought us here.
- “The changing balance of global financial power”, by Brad Setser, 22 August 2008
- Is America’s decline inevitable? No., 21 January 2008
- Geopolitical implications of the current economic downturn, 24 January 2008 – How will this recession end? With re-balancing of the global economy — and a decline of the US dollar so that the US goods and services are again competitive. No more trade deficit, and we can pay our debts.
- Our metastable Empire, built on a foundation of clay, 3 March 2008
- Words to fear in the 21st century: Lǎo hǔ, lǎo hǔ, Lǎo hǔ, 14 July 2008, 14 July 2008
- Effective treatment for this crisis will come with “The Master Settlement of 2009″, 5 October 2008
- Causes of the financial crisis (no, its not the usual list), 29 October 2008
- A look at out future, 2009 – 2010 … and beyond, 9 November 2008
- Fetters of the mind blind us so that we cannot see a solution to this crisis, 1 April 2009
- Today’s hot rumor: Fisk’s story about a conspiracy to wreck the US dollar, 6 October 2009
Reference pages about other topics appear on the right side menu bar, including About the FM website page.
Please share your comments by posting below. Per the FM site’s Comment Policy, please make them brief (250 word max), civil and relevant to this post. Or email me at fabmaximus at hotmail dot com (note the spam-protected spelling).