Summary: This Halloween offers a rare opportunity for mass protest against the social engineers reshaping America. Our apathy usually prevents mass resistance, making us sheep. But sometimes the Left overreaches, creating a window for mass opposition. Hold parties and encourage wearing incorrect costumes. Have fun and strike a blow for freedom.
“The defiance of established authority, religious and secular, social and political, as a world-wide phenomenon may well one day be accounted the outstanding event of the last decade.
— Hannah Arendt in Crises of the Republic: Civil Disobedience (1969).
We have a great opportunity to stand together in defense of freedom
The University of Florida’s newsletter, the Gator Times, advise students about ways to survive the perils of Halloween. Many schools have given similar advice, although not always with such a heavy hand. Florida’s special snowflakes have a wide range of therapeutic options for the trauma of a children’s holiday, including the pleasure of siccing the PC police on one’s enemies. George Orwell would be pleased at the accuracy of his predictions.
Halloween Costume Choices
“October brings fall weather and Halloween. If you choose to participate in Halloween activities, we encourage you to think about your choices of costumes and themes. Some Halloween costumes reinforce stereotypes of particular races, genders, cultures, or religions. Regardless of intent, these costumes can perpetuate negative stereotypes, causing harm and offense to groups of people.
“Also, keep in mind that social media posts can have a long-term impact on your personal and professional reputation. The University of Florida’s Division of Student Affairs Diversity and Social Justice Statement reminds us that UF fosters a community that values and respects diversity. An inclusive definition of diversity recognizes the variety of personal and social experiences that make individuals and communities different from one another.
“As a community, we aspire to demonstrate integrity, respect, and compassion that strives to maintain an affirming campus climate for all members of our community. If you are troubled by an incident that does occur, please know that there are many resources available.
- Please take advantage of the 7 day a week presence of the U Matter, We Care program at the University of Florida by emailing email@example.com.
- Additionally, there is a 24/7 counselor in the Counseling and Wellness Center available to speak by phone at 352-392-1575.
- Lastly, the Bias Education and Response Team at the University of Florida is able to respond to any reported incidents of bias, to educate those that were involved, and to provide support by connecting those that were impacted to the appropriate services and resources. You may submit a bias incident report at www.umatter.ufl.edu/stopbias.
“Thank you for being mindful of these values, and have a fun and safe Halloween.”
A rare opportunity to stand together against the PC police
“Guilt only dreads Liberty of Speech, which drags it out of its lurking Holes, and exposes its Deformity and Horror to Day-light.”
— “Of Freedom of Speech, That the Same is inseparable from Publick Liberty“, one of Cato’s Letters by John Trenchard and Thomas Gordon, 4 February 1720.
Samuel Adams would rejoice at the opportunity created by this irrational over-reaching of the Left. Let’s do it, and enjoy it. Let’s get millions to mock the Left’s orders to us about allowed costumes for Halloween. It’s an opportunity to stand together in a small way, a first step towards doing so on larger matters.
Hold Halloween costume parties. Everybody wear politically incorrect costumes. Let’s mock each other, to show that we are strong, not snowflakes — and secure in our primary identity as Americans.
To help begin the party, here are ideas for offensive and politically incorrect costumes (they’re not exaggerating; most are for men). Here are other ideas for both men and women. Of course see the other side: Katherine Timpf of National Review gives examples of advice from the PC Police
Let the Leftists call the police to protest PC violations. Let them flood the 9-11 lines with whines about their fragile egos being trampled. The resulting publicity will be sunshine on their plans for America, a useful warning before we begin the Hillary Clinton years.
“…the best way is to jeer and flout him.”
— Advice about dealing with a Leftist, from Philip Schaff in his book History Of The Christian Church chapter III, § 61 (1890).
For More Information
- How to stage effective protests in the 21st century.
- How do protests like the TP and OWS differ from effective political action?
- The Million Vet March, a typical peasants’ protest. Does it portend more serious protests in our future?
- Why don’t political protests work? What are the larger lessons from our repeated failures?
- Thoreau reminds us about one of the few tools we have to control the government — About civil disobedience.