Some things you might find of interest about Iran, as drift towards war.
- I have here a statement by an obvious ally of Iran working at the highest level of the US government!
- Quote of the Day from Jack A Smith, “A Manufactured Crisis“, Asia Times, 30 September 2009
- “Top Things you Think You Know about Iran that are not True“, Juan Cole, Informed Consent, 1 October 2009
- “Our war-loving Foreign Policy Community hasn’t gone anywhere“, Glen Greenwald, Salon, 21 September 2009
- Comments from the peanut gallery about the Iranian Nuke Crisis
- Background Information about Iran
- Afterword and More Information on the FM Site
(1) I have here a statement by an obvious ally of Iran working at the highest level of the US government! Will the hawks, lusting for war with Iran, denounce this appeaser for his remarks about Iran?
Iran, of course, being, you know, in such proximity to Afghanistan and having significant influence inside Afghanistan, is a big player. They, in my view, they have a lot of very positive influence inside Afghanistan, some of it cultural, some of it financial, just things that any neighbor would have to try to build the stability. I think that if Iran takes a very mature look at a stable Afghanistan and support the government of Afghanistan, then we’ll be — we’ll be in good shape. If they were to choose not to do that, and they were to choose to support insurgents, I think that would be a significant miscalculation.
The culprit is General Stanley McChrystal. He said this when asked about “Iran’s significance for the Afghanistan equation” after his speech to the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London (see the text of the speech and video of the Q&A at their website here. This is from Spencer Ackerman’s column The Washington Independent, 1 October 2009. The parody of Joseph McCarthy is mine.
(2) Quote of the Day from Jack A Smith, “A Manufactured Crisis“, Asia Times, 30 September 2009 — Excerpt (red emphasis added):